Who We Are
News & Events
Contact Us
 Register for e-bulletins
 Join the Union
 
Home Page
 Executive 
Who We Are

Local 512 was Chartered as United Electrical Radio and Machine Workers of America July 28 1943. In the mid fifties there was a change to the name as the National Office broke with the Americans, and from that time it was United Electrical Radio and Machine Workers of Canada.

In the late Eighties early Nineties the Local merged with nine other United
Electrical Radio and Machine Workers of Canada to form one Local in the West End of Toronto. It was decided that the Local would remain 512 as it was the longest existing local there at that time.

At the same time that this took place the United Electrical Radio and
Machine Workers of Canada voted to merge with the Canadian Auto Workers Union. The Local applied for Charter as CAW Local 512.

At the time of merger with CAW Local 512 had 26 units and approximately 2600 members, today due to many closures there is 10 shops with approximately 350 members.
Last Updated: February 28, 2004 10:45:44 AM